Disrupt! Create Value! Get Rich!
(make something easier to do, buy, or use.)
So the current hot business term is “disruption.”
Everyone wants to be a disruptor, but unless you create value as you disrupt, you are doomed to fail.
So how do you disrupt and create value? One way – maybe the best way – is to make something easier to do, buy, or use.
- Amazon made it easier to buy virtually anything online.
- Apple made intuitive, easy to use technology.
- Uber made it easier to get a ride.
But those companies are old. Yesterday’s news, some would say (except that Amazon just bought Whole Foods – you might say that’s news).
What about TODAY’S disruptive companies? What rocket science concepts are they using to disrupt and create value?
Let’s look at some companies listed by The Wall Street Journal as “Tech Companies To Watch 2017”:
- Doctor on Demand and Babylon Health Care Services make it easier to see a doctor (they use video).
- Clever makes it easier for schools to organize software applications used by teachers and students.
- Zola makes it easier to put together a wedding registry.
- August Home and Ring both make it easier to manage home security.
- Tile makes it easier to keep up with your stuff like your key ring and TV remote.
So if you want to keep from being disrupted right out of business by a new or existing competitor while at the same time doing a little disrupting yourself, create new value by making something easier to do, buy, or use. The marketplace will love you.